Introduction to a Science & Dog lover

 Hey y'all! My name is Gabby and I am starting my 5th year here at OU (victory lap woohoo!) My major is HES/pre-PA, which is why I will graduate a few years later. I added Pre-PA to my major my junior year, and the grad schools require a lot more sciences than just HES. Even though I love science, and I love studying it, I'm ready to be done with school and hopefully take a gap year in between undergrad and PA school. I have been struggling getting through these last few science classes because they are upper division and all build on top of each other. I think my favorite class I have taken is Anatomy but Microbiology is a close second. Anatomy was really interesting to me because I loved learning all the different body parts, how they function together, and how our body keeps up alive everyday. 

I am originally from Edmond, OK (Deer Creek HS) which is only 45 minutes from Norman. I really love living so close to home, it was especially handy freshman year because my mom would come pick up and then return my laundry (she has since shut down this service, it's very unfortunate). It's easy to run home for the day or the weekend and spend time with my family. I have an older sister, Jocelyn (30), and 2 older brothers, Zach (29) and Jennings (27). Growing up as the baby definitely had it's perks but it also involved me getting picked on and beat up. We're also a HUGE dog family, there's 6 dogs total between all of us and it feels like a zoo when we all get together. My dog’s name is Rusty, he is a 9 year old lab red lab and he’s the cutest little guy. He doesn’t live with me in Norman during the school year because my roommate has a dog and they don’t get along. Whenever I go home, I make sure to spend lots of time with him. But I also like to hang out with my mom, we get along really well and she's definitely one of my best friends.

My roommate and I have lived together 3 years so far and this will be our 4th year. We’ve also been best friends since our moms were pregnant with us (not even an exaggeration). Our older sisters were a grade apart so we've basically done everything together since we were born. We lived in our sorority house, with 70 other girls, and then we just decided we were gonna live together until we both moved away from Norman. She has a little 18 month old chocolate lab, who likes to cuddle and give us attitude on the daily. There is never a boring day with a little puppy running around!


My roommate (left) and I starting our first senior year! Source: Gabby Taylor

My sweet Rusty pup on a campus walk during quarantine. Source: Gabby Taylor


Comments

  1. Hi Gabby! I loved your post! Your roommates dog is soo cute! I love that you and your roommate are so close. Although my roommate and I have lived together for only 2 years, i can definitely relate to what you were saying, we do everything together. I have a dog and she has a dog who are literally best friends. Good luck on the rest of your semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabby, Rusty is such a cute pup and it is so awesome that you switched to Pre-PA I know that must have been a hard decision but it is so awesome that you are putting in the work (and time) to follow what you want to do. I am pre med so I get the lot of sciences for sure but that is so cool. It also must have been nice having your mom come and do your laundry I didn't do my laundry til the last second Freshman year or taking all of my clothes with me when I went back to Dallas for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gabby! Your intro is awesome. I think it's so cool that you and your roommate have been able to live together for so long and stay so close, I feel like that's really rare! Really appreciate your love for dogs also. I sadly had to leave my baby at home also (she is a golden retriever) and I wish I had a dog here to love on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gabby,

    I am so glad that you are interested in sciences AND dogs. Those are, in my opinion, the most two important things in life. I am also so glad to hear that one of your favorite classes was microbiology, as it's my major and my first microbiology class was my all-time favorite even now as a Senior! I am sorry to hear you were picked on as a kid, but it really shows how far you have come to be so far into college and doing what you love and being around so many great people (and animals!). I have so much faith in you to perform well as a PA in the future, as I can tell how dedicated and loving you are just from your introduction. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gabby, it's nice to meet you. I love dogs as well and I like some sciences. I prefer chemistry and physics but not the biology side as much. I have a lot of respect for the work I know you have to put in for all the classes you have to take. The sciences you have chosen are rigorous. It's great that you have an interest in all of them. I used to live with my best friend as well and we had so much fun! We're both married now but we hang out when we can, reading your post made me miss her like crazy, now I'm about to go call her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving anatomy class sounds like a great sign that you are in the right field, Gabby! The complexity of the body is incredible... which is why we need the medical professionals to explain our own bodies to us (not just during a pandemic...). And I am so jealous of all your pets: so many dogs = so much fun! Your Rusty looks like a very happy guy (the dogs sure are loving all the human companionship with people at home these days), and having some Lab puppy energy sounds like what we all need right now. Maybe your dogs can make an appearance in some stories this semester, endowed with dog superpowers to make them heroes of imaginary mythological adventures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gabby, it's great to meet you! I feel you on the victory lap. Time flies by so fast, we needed just a little more time at OU, right? :) Congratulations on graduating soon though, that will be huge. I bet you will do great in PA school. I feel you on the gap year. I feel like I have been doing school for an eternity! That is pretty awesome you are a big dog family! I am a big dog guy myself. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gabby, I completely understand the 5th year for PA school. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to do post graduation but PA school has been one of my thoughts for a long time but if I do chose that I will be taking a gap year to gain some more experience. I also can relate with living close, I would take my laundry home to my mom every week freshman year and it was so nice to not have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, reading about your roommate and you was so sweet! That is so special that you all have been friends for so long and it's worked out well. I also love the picture of your dogs - I have three at home, and miss them so much when I'm in Norman. I'm pre-med right now, but I've considered PA so I kind of understand what you're doing right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gabby! I completely agree with you on anatomy. It was one of the most difficult classes I have ever had to take and it pushed me as a person and as a student. But, I believe that I walked away being a better student. I, of course, am an objective opinion! I do think it is awesome that you found a passion. I think a lot of people don't add majors or minors because they think life is on a schedule and I think it is super cool that you are prepared to do that for your future happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Gabby! I loved getting to learn a little bit more about you! I can only imagine how difficult microbiology and anatomy must be! I am an advertising major so science is definitely not my thing haha! I love how you are staying true to your dream and going to PA school! That is so impressive! Also, I loved the sweet photos you included of your roommate and dog! It really showed who you are as a person! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Gabby, I hope the best for you in the remainder of your courses because I definitely feel this sentiment. Not to mention, with the science classes you have to take; I have friends that are taking these types of classes and I feel for them every day. Also, I'm graduating this semester and I'm already over everything I have to do, so I feel it. By the way, your dog is adorable and I hope they know that they're a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gabby!
    I hope you are doing so good this semester! I am an HES/ Pre- OT major and I loved my anatomy class! I am so glad that you felt the same way. I bet family holidays and get togethers are fun with such a full house, probably chaotic, but fun. My extended family doesn't have nearly as many people or dogs but they have a bit and I know it feels that way for us. I wish you good luck on your long haul to being done and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gabby!
    I think it is really cool when you said you like science! This is a kind of passion to help both of us to move forward! My major is the economy, and I also enjoy studying the theory behind economical phenomena. For me, I think dogs and cats are both human's best friends. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gabby!
    I am a science and dog lover as well. I am a Microbio major but anatomy is my close second interest. I was going to do pre-med but decided I love Microbio research so much. I grew up in OKC so I totally understand the close to home feel of OU for me. I go home every other weekend or so to visit my dogs. I am the oldest and only to move out. We also have 4 dogs between us, mine is Archie a 1.5 year old Lab/Great Dane mix I am sure he and Rusty would get along great. It is so nice meeting you and I can't wait to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Gabby!
    I think it's really cool you want to go into Pre-PA!
    Your dog is super cute btw, and your roommate's dog sounds adorable too.
    I love that your whole family has a bunch of dogs, I'm sure that's a lot of fun for get-togethers!
    Also, it's really cool you've got a lifelong best-friend like that, I have a similar one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gabby! I am also an HES major pre-PA. I switched my sophmore year so I was a little behind too. I can still manage to graduate my fourth year though because of all the summer classes I took. I need to take 21 hours though so it'll be a rough last semester but I'm determined to get the heck out of here and start a new chapter in PA school. I also love that you enjoy living close to campus. My family lives in OKC so I always go home on the weekends. I think it's a perfect balance as I get some alone time from them to focus on school during the week while getting to hang out with them during the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gabby! I completely agree with you, being close to home has been so nice! I'm actually from OKC so I also love getting to go home and see my parents and get to play with my sweet pupper Bandit. I wish I loved science like you do it's just a subject I was never gifted in sadly. The same goes for math too but that a rant for another day for sure. Anyway, I hope one day soon you'll get to live with your sweet doggy full time again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi gabby! So nice to meet you. I love getting to meet my classmates and learning about their interests. I am from Colorado, so I do not have any connections to OKC except for my best friends in college! Your picture of your puppy is adorable! I have a dog as well, his name is Tucker. I love that you are a HES/Pre-PA major because two of my roommates are that major as well. Great job with your introduction post. It was nicely written and fun to learn more about you. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Gabby,
    Congrats on being so close to graduating! That must be so exciting I am graduating in May and cannot wait, but will miss Norman like crazy. I am minoring in HES and have loved being able to knock out my electives that way. Hopefully you have enjoyed it as much as I have. Looks like you and your pup have lots of fun! Good luck during your last year here at OU!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Gabby,

    Ok we have a lot in common!! I'm also from Edmond, but I'm a bit closer to the city and I went to edmond santa fe. I totally agree, it's so nice to be that close to home. My mom also runs the laundry service but I'm sure that will probably end next year when I move in to my house. I live at gamma phi this year (sorority neighbors woohoo) and it's kind of alot but i love being with all the people. Good luck with your last year and graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Gabby! What a great introduction post. These are always my favorite readings to read because I love getting to know my classmates better. That os fun you are from the Edmond area since you can be close to Norman and go back and forth. I am from Colorado, so going to school is much further for me. Your dog, Rusty, is adorable! Seeing people's dogs is always my favorite. I have a dog and he is an Australian Shepherd. I love that you have a big family as well, I am one of three girls and as crazy was it can be, it is so fun! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts