[giving] feedback strategies
How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk
Giving bad feedback is often a task no one wants to do. It's not fun being the bad guy and having people be mad at you. As I was reading through this article, I caught myself reflecting on times when I had been a leader and I was dishing out the feedback and I asked, "Was I as efficient as I could have been? Did they receive my feedback in a good way?" and I honestly didn't know how to answer my own questions. In my leadership roles, I think I had explained the reason I giving the feedback. A few of the roles have been Captain of my Pom team in high school and also as a Director for University Sing and Scandals shows. In these roles I was in charge of choreographing and perfecting the routines, cleaning the shows, and keeping them motivated to work hard in the dances. It was honestly a lot of pressure and I'm definitely a perfectionist when it came to cleaning my own creation, I was filled with self doubt and worried they wouldn't be good enough and I would fail. So in a way, I think I took these concerns out on my peers and the kids younger than me that looked up to me. I took my positions really seriously, I wanted to be a good role model for them and I also just wanted to be the best, no one likes losing, especially me. I think in my first leadership role, I did not take myself off of a pedestal, I probably gave myself a higher one than what I actually deserved. I for sure got a big head and let that take control over me but as I grew up and held more roles throughout college, I learned how to check myself and bring it down. I wanted everyone to be their best, I wanted everyone to like me, and I also wanted everyone to respect me as a leader. It was really tricky balance, of being their friend or their "mom" and also being the tough guy.
![]() |
| Source: NeedPix |



Comments
Post a Comment