reading notes: celtic tales a

 1. The Horned Woman

Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

The first thing I liked from this story was the that each time a witch came into the house, she had an addition horn. I'm not sure why i Liked this aspect but it would be interesting to tell maybe a few of their lives? Witch 6 with 6 horns was the most evil of all while witch 8 with 8 horns just wanted to stay at home and knit but she got drug out to do a spell at the maidens house. 

2. The Shepherd of Myddvai

Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

a shepherd takes his lambs up to a lake in mountains. One day as his herd was grazing, 3 women appears from the lake. The first tried his bread, it was too done, and she said "not for me". The next day the shepherd came back with softer bread, another one of the women tried it and also said "not for me, too soft". So on the third day he finds a piece bread that was floating by shore, offers this to the third woman and she eagerly accepts. She tells him if she he can identify her compared to her sisters, she would marry him. the shepherd is able to identify her by her shoe strap so they are married. She warns him that if he were to strike her 3 times, it was over. A few innocent taps on the shoulder later, and she's gone. But what do the other 2 sisters do while shes gone? I don't believe they just sit and wait for her. As sisters, it's only accurate if they cause trouble for the other. 

3. The Sprightly Tailor 

Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

i'm not super into ghost stories or scary things in general but I really like this story. I like how the Tailor just ignores the demon rising from the ground (somewhat comedic to me) and just continues sewing. This reminds me a lot of my mom who crochets even when we have 6 dogs running around the living room like literal, well demons! I can either tell the story of the demon rising up and why he's so cranky or rewrite the story as my mom crocheting something. 

Graveyard where the Tailor did his haunted sewing. Source: Pxhere












Comments

Popular Posts