reading notes Nursery Rhymes(A)

 1. Tales

source: The Nursery Rhyme Book edited by Andrew Lan 

- The Lion and the Unicorn is a short rhyme that I think could be spun into a really fun children's story. The 2 were fighting for a crown. 
The lion and the unicorn
Were fighting for the crown;
The lion beat the unicorn
All round about the town.

Some gave them white bread,
And some gave them brown;
Some gave them plum-cake,
And sent them out of town.
    - crown to be a king? crown of a contest? 

- three wise men of Gotham could be exciting to write about their adventure and all their struggles they faced from sailing the ocean in a bowl-- also why? did they die or get lost at sea? did something eat them or did pirates them? 
Three wise men of Gotham
Went to sea in a bowl:
And if the bowl had been stronger,
My song would have been longer.


- i like this rhyme because it's saying if there's no solution to your problem, don't waste time dwelling on it
For every evil under the sun,
There is a remedy, or there is none.
If there be one, try and find it;
If there be none, never mind it.

- early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, wise. I feel like I heard this a lot growing up from my mom or grandma. They were probably trying to get my stubborn self to actually go to bed. 


- Merry are the bells and merry they would ring. I really like the rhythm of this nursery rhyme. It felt like it has a happy story behind it

- This song made me laugh at the end. This could be a fun story to write and set it in this situation. The rejection at the end is my favorite part
"WHERE are you going, my pretty maid?"
"I'm going a-milking, sir," she said.
"May I go with you, my pretty maid?"
"You're kindly welcome, sir," she said.
"What is your father, my pretty maid?"
"My father's a farmer, sir," she said.

"Say, will you marry me, my pretty maid?"
"Yes, if you please, kind sir," she said.
"What is your fortune, my pretty maid?"
"My face is my fortune, sir," she said.
"Then I can't marry you, my pretty maid!"
"Nobody asked you, sir," she said.

- this story remind me of cinderella. A cinderella story but based on a small child?
LITTLE Polly Flinders
Sat among the cinders,
Warming her pretty little toes.

Her mother came and caught her,
And whipped her little daughter
For spoiling her nice new clothes.

- rock a bye baby was one of my favorite lullabies as a kid. I still sing this to my dog when I want him to sleep or calm down (partially as a joke haha). but how did the baby get in the tree top? 

Rock a bye baby. source: Pixy







Comments

Popular Posts