[receiving] feedback thoughts

Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback  

    My favorite line from this article shows up at the end, "Even if you're given a C for performance, you can still earn an A for improvement." I think that this is really important to remember when receiving feedback, it may not of been the best work possible but what matters is how you handle it in the future and how you adapt. Tim also points out how terrible we all are at giving negative feedback or constructive criticism. I personally love constructive criticism. Okay, love might be overdramatic, but I have definitely learned how to appreciate it in my life. 
    As a dancer, the only way you get better is having the incorrect techniques pointed out and brought to your attention so you can tweak it on your next chance. That's why, as dancers, we never stop taking technique classes and never stop training. From the age of 3 beginning combo classes to being in a professional working performance company, technique is always evolving. You have to get a thick skin at a young age because your teacher will shout your corrections at you in front of the whole class as you're working across the floor. 
"Gabby! Point your toes!" "Push your arms down Gabby" "Gabby, engage your core" 
These are the basic things that would get called out, but not in a destructive way, the feedback was delivered in an appropriate way so it was more effective and I felt like I was capable of making the changes. 

Why Rejection Hurts so Much- and What to do About it

    I think it was really interesting to read about where the fear of rejection came from. Being kicked out of your tribe or being judged was basically a death sentence when we were just hunters and gatherers. Humans want to belong to whatever it is, we are naturally hardwired to crave acceptance from others. When we get rejected, it throws off our stability and that need to belong somewhere. I was a huge fan of the of the redirecting advice. If you got rejected from this, redirect by doing something positive for yourself, like calling your grandparents. 
    

Source: Pixabay





image 

image caption

Comments

Popular Posts